Kids Take The Fun Out Of Halloween
When I was growing up, there were basically two choices of
Halloween costumes: you bought a Collegeville costume consisting of a chintzy
plastic mask and suit featuring a cartoon character or a witch, or you made
your own.
In my house, it usually came down to the latter, and the
latter meant making something as easy as possible. I’m talking a white sheet
with eyeholes cut out.
I have a photo of myself and my brother dressed up for
Halloween one year. My long hair is in ponytails; I’ve painted freckles on my
face; and I’m wearing a baby doll dress. I think I was supposed to be Pippi
Longstocking.
My brother has tied a piece of burlap over his head and God
only knows what he’d supposed to be.
Hey, but we were using our imaginations, being creative.
When my son was born, I wasn’t about to resort to a
store-bought costume. Weeks before Halloween, I’d begin making the cutest, most
creative costume I could come up with, keeping in mind my limited crafting and
sewing skills.
That first year I kept it simple since my son was only 10
weeks old: a pumpkin.
I’d just come off maternity leave and brought my baby with
me to a staff meeting where most of my co-workers were seeing him for the first
time, this adorable cherub-cheeked infant dressed as a fat, orange pumpkin.
Unfortunately, my son was having some stomach discomfort that day and, just as
my boss began to speak, he let loose, forever becoming known as the little
pumpkin with gas.
I thought my idea to make him a new blue M&M the
following year was a stroke of genius. I found a royal blue, long-sleeved
jumper. I then enlarged an M&M package on the copy machine and used it to
cut out a white felt M&M logo to attach to the front. I put a royal blue
baseball cap on him with the same logo. I then stuffed the inside of the jumper
with foam to ensure he’d be nice and round.
It was adorable. Unfortunately, having just learned to walk,
my son didn’t quite have his balance yet. And all that foam didn’t help. He
looked like a Weeble, only this one did fall down, about every two steps. I
think we trick-or-treated to three houses before he tired out.
My coup de grace, though, had to have been the turtle. That
took a lot of wire hangers and every piece of green felt Michaels craft store
had, but it was worth all the envious looks from the other mothers at the
Center Place Halloween Horribles parade that year. My son the turtle even made
the cover of the Hillsborough
County recycling
newsletter. What a compliment.
The only problem was the size of his turtle shell. In his
enthusiasm to get to the next treat station at the Halloween Horribles parable,
he would inadvertently knock all the other kids off the path.
Those days were over way too soon. I watched in dismay this
year as parents proudly paraded their toddlers in whimsical costumes that I
could have created if my son had just given me a few more years to experiment
with him.
But, apparently, there comes a day when mom-made costumes
are deemed uncool and anything that even hints of cute is unworthy.
So goodbye to 10-cent sheets of felt and hello to $39.99
Freddy Krueger masks.
D’Ann White is the former editor of The Brandon News.

Comments
Post a Comment