The Meaning Of 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' And Other '60s Revelations
I'd heard an announcement on the radio for
Hippie Fest the day before.
It'd been a tough couple of months. What
better way to unwind than to escape into the '60s and '70s, and reminisce with
Eric Burdon of the Animals, Terry Sylvester of the Hollies, Felix Cavaliere of
the Rascals, Joey Molland of Badfinger, Denny Laine of the Moody Blues,
Melanie, Country Joe McDonald and some of the original members of Iron
Butterfly?
The venue was perfect: Cypress Gardens '
outdoor theater. For an extra 15 bucks you can get reserved seats so, as my
husband put it, we could count the wrinkles on Denny Laine's face from where we
were sitting.
No one was more excited about Hippie Fest
than my 11-year-old son, Ian. He didn't glance twice at the Cypress Gardens
thrill rides in his eagerness to get to the concert.
I can't sing or play a note but I love music,
and I've exposed my son to an eclectic assortment of musical styles. He was
still in diapers when he saw Springsteen for the first time. Our playlists
include such diverse selections as Zydeco, classical, Broadway, Gregorian
chants, Merle Haggard, The Clash, Etta James, Tom Jones and Elvis Costello.
After seeing the film, "Forrest
Gump," my son developed this fascination with the Vietnam era.
I introduced him to the sounds of Woodstock, and, just as I did at that age, he got a kick out of Country Joe and the Fish's war protest songs and was captivated when the clearly overwhelmed Max Yasgur got up on stage and welcomed 450,000 people onto his Sullivan County, N.Y., farm on Aug. 15, 1969, in a shaky voice.
I introduced him to the sounds of Woodstock, and, just as I did at that age, he got a kick out of Country Joe and the Fish's war protest songs and was captivated when the clearly overwhelmed Max Yasgur got up on stage and welcomed 450,000 people onto his Sullivan County, N.Y., farm on Aug. 15, 1969, in a shaky voice.
We explored the Internet so he could view
John Filo's Pulitzer Prize-winning photo of Mary Ann Vecchio crouched over the
bullet-ridden body of Jeffrey Miller at Kent State.
And when he saw the Vietnam
veterans reverently run their fingers over the engraved names of fallen friends
at the Vietnam War Moving Memorial, he realized this wasn't ancient history;
the war was still impacting people today.
To my son's delight, Country Joe, who served
as emcee of Hippie Fest, sang his signature "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die
Rag."
Seeing and hearing Joey Molland was like
stepping back in time. The guy hadn't aged a day and he sounded exactly like
the original recordings as he belted out the classics he'd written: "Baby
Blue," "Day After Day" and "No Matter What."
There I was, sitting a few feet away,
thinking, "Wow, this is the guy who played with John Lennon on the
"Imagine" album." I whispered to my husband, "It's almost
surreal."
I'd introduced my son to both of Eric
Burdon's bands, the Animals and War, so he was familiar with "House of the
Rising Sun," "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," "We Gotta Get
Out of This Place" and "Boom Boom."
Burdon didn't disappoint us. He did them all,
and more. Even so, my son was confused.
"Is that really Eric Burdon?" he
asked, skeptically. We assured him it was.
"But he's fat and old," my son
declared.
Yeah, that even happens to rock stars, we
told him.
Iron Butterfly hit the stage for the finale
with the band's classic "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." I whispered to Ian that
he was about to hear the longest rock song in music history.
"How long?" he asked.
"Seventeen minutes," I said,
recalling my music trivia. Ian groaned.
It was interesting to watch the song
performed live because, when original Iron Butterfly drummer Ron Bushy began
his solo, lead singer and keyboardist Martin Gerschwitz and original bass
guitarist Lee Dorman actually left the stage (original lead guitarist Eric
Brann died in 2003). You could see them off to the side, chatting and drinking
bottled water while Bushy played with the gusto of a 20-year-old.
After the show, I spotted Gerschwitz standing in front of the stage and couldn't resist approaching him. (I am a reporter, after all). Before long, I'd cajoled him into summoning his fellow band members to autograph my son's Hippie Fest hat.
After the show, I spotted Gerschwitz standing in front of the stage and couldn't resist approaching him. (I am a reporter, after all). Before long, I'd cajoled him into summoning his fellow band members to autograph my son's Hippie Fest hat.
Silly me, I figured the kid would be thrilled
to have the names of the members of a defunct '60s rock 'n' roll band scrawled
all over his new baseball cap. However, when I turned around and handed it to
him, he had that look on his face that told me he was about to cry,
"Daaad! The Iron Butterfly ruined my hat!" I quickly averted an
embarrassing moment by suggesting we keep this hat as a souvenir and have dad
buy him another hat to wear.
While I had the band's ear, I couldn't pass
up the chance to get the real story behind the origins of
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." I'd heard rumors about the song being based on
an LSD hallucination or Hindu prayer. To my disappointment, it was nothing
quite so dramatic.
Evidently, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is
what "In the Garden of Eden" sounds like after consuming a gallon of
cheap red wine. After hearing then-lead singer Doug Ingle slur the words, Bushy
thought it was catchy and wrote it down that way, and rock's first heavy-metal
classic was born in 1968.
While Iron Butterfly was being so
accommodating, I decided to press my luck. I'd just purchased the new Eric
Burdon DVD/CD, "Athens Traffic."
"Could you do me a favor and take this
backstage and have Eric sign it for me?" I asked Gerschwitz.
"Sorry, he's already left, but I played on that CD. I'll sign it for you," Gerschwitz said.
"Sorry, he's already left, but I played on that CD. I'll sign it for you," Gerschwitz said.
I must have looked doubtful because he began
flipping through the discography on the CD until he came to his photo and
showed it to me.
"See, there I am, playing the
violin," he said.
"Sure, I'd love to have your
autograph," I assured him. "It's just as good as Eric's. No, it's
better. You're a very nice man."
For a second there, I thought he was going to
hug me. I was a bit taken aback. I'd never had anyone ask to give me their
autograph before.
Footnote: I checked out Gerschwitz and, in
addition to being a really nice guy, I discovered he's an accomplished musician
who's played with a plethora of rockers over the years. The big surprise was
discovering he played keyboards for Percy Sledge on one of my all-time
favorites: "When a Man Loves a Woman.”

Comments
Post a Comment